When I was in the Navy, I helped my fellow servicemen and women vote. It was much harder than I thought it would be. As we shipped out to the Middle East, I was angered to learn that so many of the people fighting for our security and freedom had such a hard time voting. What were we in the military fighting for if not ultimately freedom and democracy, and the rubber meets the road when people can vote on their own leaders. So, as a Veteran, I take it personally whenever a citizen cannot vote or encounters a barrier to this basic democratic right.
- Revolutionize voting by increasing access to the ballot box in California.
- Introduce laws for automatic voter registration in California, based on events like birth, turning 18, high school graduation, and naturalization.
- Make it as easy as possible to vote by mail or vote early.
- Enable same-day registration, so you can register on election day itself.
- Support legislation that makes the November election day a state holiday.
- Oppose and counteract voter suppression efforts nationally by making California a model for easy and uncomplicated voting and high-turnout elections.