When I was in the Navy, I helped my fellow servicemen and women vote. It was much harder than I thought it would be. As we shipped out to the Middle East, I was angered to learn that so many of the people fighting for our security and freedom had such a hard time voting. The men and women of the military are ultimately fighting for freedom and democracy, and electing leaders is the crux of such a democracy. As a Veteran, I take it personally whenever a citizen cannot vote or encounters a barrier to this basic democratic right.
- Revolutionize voting by increasing access to the ballot box in California.
- Introduce laws for automatic voter registration in California, based on events like birth, turning 18, high school graduation, and naturalization.
- Make it as easy as possible to vote by mail or vote early.
- Enable same-day registration, so you can register on election day itself.
- Support legislation that makes the November election day a state holiday.
- Oppose and counteract voter suppression efforts nationally by making California a model for easy and uncomplicated voting and high-turnout elections.